Even though Arafat died in 2004, the Palestinians are following his playbook to the letter. They are simply biding their time, taking what Israel gives them, offering nothing in return, and waiting for the day when “the Arab nations … join us for the final blow against Israel[,]” just as Arafat said. But the Middle East situation is more complicated than that:
- An increasingly belligerent Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons and long-range missiles to deliver them despite assurances to the contrary, is attempting to establish hegemony over the Middle East and North Africa, and has declared that it intends to “wipe Israel off the map.”
- China is siding with Iran and attempting to increase its influence in the Middle East.
- Unrest in Syria is rapidly developing into a full-blown civil war despite former Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan’s efforts to bring an end to the fighting, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad may not survive, and Islamists are positioning themselves to take control.
- Russia is flexing its muscles in the Middle East, siding with Iran and Syria, and challenging Western powers, most notably the United States.
- President Obama is perceived as weak in the Middle East, thus emboldening Islamists throughout the region and Russia and China.
- Egypt is poised to elect an Islamist president, and Egypt’s parliament has declared that Israel is Egypt’s “number one enemy.”
- Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an is leading his nation down an Islamist path and trying to re-establish the Ottoman Empire. In the process, he is turning against Israel and winning accolades from the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.
These facts help to explain why there is growing skepticism among Israeli citizens about the prospects for peace in the Middle East, and they cause bleak reality to come into crystal-clear focus. That’s why Israelis are turning away from Tzipi Livni and politicians in Israel like her who preach peace despite the mounting evidence. As unpleasant and undesirable as this may seem, the Israeli people are realizing that now is the time to plan for war, because it may be inevitable.
War in the Middle East May Be Inevitable | AmericanThinker.Com