A sign before the return of the Mahdi: “a star will appear in the East giving out as much light as the moon.”
They [comets] are one of the most spectacular views a human could hope to see – and next year  a comet which could outshine the moon is due to fly by the Earth.
Comet ISON is visiting the inner solar system and is set to put on spectacular views for the Northern Hemisphere across November and December as it heads towards the sun.
It may prove to be brighter than any comet of the last century – visible even in broad daylight – and this may end up being its one and only trip to the solar system, as its trajectory may see it plunge into the sun in a fiery death.
According to Moojan Momen, among the most commonly reported signs that presage the advent of the Mahdi in Shia hadith are
1. Before his coming will come the red death and the white death. The red death is the sword and white death is plague. (see also Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse)
2. Several figures will appear: the one-eyed Dajjal, the Sufyani and the Yamani. Another figure, the Pure Soul (an-Nafs az-Zakiyya), will be assassinated.
3. The sun will rise from the West and a star will appear in the East giving out as much light as the moon.
4. The Arabs will throw off the reins and take possession of their land, throwing out the authority of the foreigners.
5. A caller will call out from heaven.
6. There will be a great conflict in the land of Syria until it is destroyed.
7. Death and fear will afflict the people of Baghdad and Iraq. A fire will appear in the sky and a redness will cover them.
Ka’b said: “It is a star that rises from the East and illuminates for the people of the Earth like the illumination of a moon in a full-moon night.” (Nuaim bin Hammad’s book Kitab Al-Fitan)
New Comet Discovered—May Become “One of Brightest in History”
Even with powerful telescopes, comet 2012 S1 (ISON) is now just a faint glow in the constellation Cancer. But the ball of ice and rocks might become visible to the naked eye for a few months in late 2013 and early 2014—perhaps outshining the moon, astronomers say.
The comet is already remarkably bright, given how far it is from the sun, astronomer Raminder Singh Samra said. What’s more, 2012 S1 seems to be following the path of the Great Comet of 1680, considered one of the most spectacular ever seen from Earth.
“If it lives up to expectations, this comet may be one of the brightest in history,” said Samra, of the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, Canada.Sponsored Ads
We have never seen anything like a comet that shines as bright or brighter than the moon. But is this really a sign of the Mahdi’s coming return?
What I do know is that the planet is at a tipping point in a couple of key areas:
2. Potential for revolution
2. Conflict – war
Today, there is financial trouble in the US, Europe and Japan. China appears to have the potential for a large financial bust. Both Chinese and Russian leaders are concerned about the potential for revolution. China and Japan appear to be at a tipping point concerning the Senkaku Islands which could easily suck in the US. Russia appears to be at a tipping point concerning western interference in the affairs of other countries, and has made several implied nuclear threats if it doesn’t stop. Israel and the US appear to be at a tipping point concerning Iran’s nuclear program and may attack.
With so many countries at a tipping point, it wouldn’t be that hard to start a cascading effect leading to nuclear war between the major powers. If that happens, then there is an opening for the rise of Islam. There is some evidence that 666 is actually Arabic script for “In the Name of Allah.” Check out this article: Going from Greek 666 to “In the Name of Allah”.
In conclusion, there is some merit to taking comet ISON seriously.
Here are some additional signs:
Some Shia prophecies foretelling the arrival of the 12th imam – the Mahdi.
1. One tells of the ruler of Egypt being overthrown, resulting in many conflicts.
2. One points to an uprising in Yemen.
3. One refers to the death of the ruler of Saudi Arabia. (The Iranians are reporting that King Abdullah is either dead or on his deathbed.)
4. “Before the return of Mahdi, a tall black man will rule the West and the largest army on Earth. He will carry a ‘clear sign’ from my son, Hussein Ibn Ali (the third Shiite imam), do not fear him!” The tradition concludes: “Shiites should have no doubt that he is with us.” Obama’s first and second names—Barack Hussein—mean “the blessing of Hussein” in Arabic and Persian. His family name, Obama, written in the Persian alphabet, reads O Ba Ma, which means “he is with us,” the magic formula in Majlisi’s tradition.
An official website run by the Iranian government keeps close track of all these events [Shia prophecies] and expresses the Iranian leaders’ excitement about them with the promise that the reappearance of Mahdi is close. They conclude that all the signs are in place and the reappearance is awaiting just one condition: worldwide wars, chaos and famine, in which two-thirds of the world’s population dies. They even have prepared a documentary to be translated into Arabic and distributed throughout the Muslim world announcing this great news: “In this extraordinary time of our history, the world will see the greatest events of all, events that will see the glorification of Islam not only in the Islamic countries, but the world. The reappearance is close.”
… In another recent statement, Gen. Naghdi promised the Basij commanders that soon both Israel and the United States would be destroyed. He continued: “With the destruction of these two evil countries, the world will become free of oppression.”